Thursday 8 May 2008

"Horatio, I am dead". A slice of my mind

Now, I was going to do a game critique, because I wanted to see if my abilities as a critic were any good, but then I thought "what game?" So I wandered the strands of the Internet for inspiration, until I reached a forum post that tickled me sufficiently to deserve mentioning, and also chose my game for me. The post was "Shakespeare Vs Ghandi". Now, I'm no Harry Hills, but I'm pretty sure that in a straight fight Shakespeare would win, what with Ghandi being a pacifist, so I go closer, looking at the topic proper.
Turns out it's a competition on which one had the most impact on the world, which is a little more fair. Who do you go for? The man who made the world laugh and cry, or the man who liberated a country/subcontinent. To be honest, it depends on your perspective. Ghandi has definitely had more of an influence on the world, I mean, India is now coming up to be a rival to it's previous masters (AKA, us in England). But culturally, Shakespeare is a no-brainer. He practically made the English language what it is today, and inspired many more works of theater and film than people care to mention. He's also one of my heroes, and I aspire to forge words and ideas in the same way he did, and perhaps save the English language while I'm there. But text speech is a different rant. I will get onto it though, don't worry.
Now, my mind being what it is, I made a side-step and took a quote from "Hamlet". That's the posts title, if you didn't know already. This quote is used in Age of Empires III when your explorer (or his dog, I forget) dies. So, here we have it! My next post will be a review on Age of empires III, as this one is now probably a little too long to do a full review. Besides, being the professional I am, I want to play it again before I post, to make sure I get the right experience.

Oh, and by the way, I'm collaborating with a comrade to make a new blog called "Speeches for the Mute". Yes, we played with the same words, but that's because it's going to be similar to this one. But instead of hearing me babble on about mindless drivel and my life, it will be a place for political and cultural thought. We thought it was a good idea at the time. Time will tell.

No comments: