Tuesday 24 June 2008

Mr Tsvangirai withdraws, and life goes on

On the 22rd of June, Morgan Tsvangirai withdrew from the Zimbabwe election process, stating that "We can't ask the people to cast their vote…when that vote will cost their lives". He is currently seeking sanctuary in a Dutch embassy for his own protection. The election was a run-off between current president Robert Mugabe of the party Zanu PF and the Movement for Democratic Change (or the MDC) led by Morgan Tsvangirai, after the original election was, although a victory for the MDC, was not substantial enough to grant them the majority needed for an outright victory. It has been widely spoken that Zanu PF are responsible for the murders of 80 party members, and the beatings and rapes of scores of other activists.

This is sick. Period. A reminder of how calculating men can be when their power is threatened. Words can't express what I feel about this, but being the English motormouth I am, I can attempt to try. I've been a critic of the who election process from the beginning. I knew Mugabe would never be ousted, even if the election went against him. He has said himself "That God who appointed me will remove me- not the MDC". However, when the first round came in, and the MDC won, I was pleasantly surprised. Of course, the vote had been rigged, denying the MDC of the 2% more votes required to win, but it seemed promising. Maybe they could be fair after all! I mean, I doubt even Mugabe would lash out with the whole world staring at him.

Was I wrong or what. Mugabe had played along more or less with the first round, but in the run off, he just gave up with subtly, and right in front of the world community, started his reign of terror. It was now he probibly realized that the international community could do nothing to him. Europe couldn't react because we're an ex-colonial continent. We've all owned empires, and are all partially responsible for what's going on. Here's where I put my hands up; Yes, England is certainly more guilty than the rest, but we still all have our hands tied. America also can do little, partly for the same reasons, but also because "Foreign policy" over the pond means "Bomb or ignore" (although Barak Obama gives me reason to hope!). South Africa has some serious power, but I doubt enough to force Mugabe out without blood being spilled. And the far east in on the verge of not wanting to be involved, or if they are, they don't want to be too critical.

And so the rapes and beatings go on. Soon after Mr Tsvangirai's withdrawal, more than 60 people were arrested who where taking shelter in the MDC headquarters. You can see why some MDC supporters criticize him, but he's done the right thing; The lesser of two evils. We can threaten our sanctions all we want, wave the stick of globalisation that an early industrial revolution gave us like it's a candy stick, but when the economy is as wrecked as Zimbabwe's, one begs the point. I think there are two ways this can be resolved favourably. Either everyone, and I mean everyone, ignores the election results, and rejects Mugabe, forcing him to abdicate as his role in the country becomes null and void, or...

Well, we already have Iraq and Afghanistan under our belt as liberations, perhaps the government will decide on a third nation...

No comments: